Applying for an Australia Awards Fellowship
Who Can Apply?
Australian organisations such as government institutions, business and non-government organisations are eligible to apply. Organisations must be legal entities with an Australian Business Number and must be able to demonstrate links with partner organisations in participating countries, and provide in-kind or financial contributions to support Fellowships. Individuals cannot apply.
Australian organisations must ensure that all nominated Fellows meet the following general eligibility requirements:
- be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Fellowship
- not be a permanent resident or be applying for permanent residency in Australia or partner someone who is
- be a citizen of an eligible country
- not be current serving military personnel
- be able to satisfy all requirements of the Department of Home Affairs for (DFAT sponsored) student visas subclass 500
- be able to participate in the Fellowship.
- Be able to travel without family members as DFAT will only fund and provide visa support letters for individual Fellows, not their family members
- Fellows with a disability that requires assistance must travel with a carer
Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam
South Asia and Middle East
Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iraq, Jordan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories and Sri Lanka
Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Wallis and Futuna
Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Fellowship programs must align with the following six development priority areas:
- Climate change and resilience (including green energy transition)
- Health and health security
- Gender equality and social inclusion
- Digital economy (including cyber and critical technology engagement)
- Maritime and the blue economy
- Infrastructure and connectivity
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online.
PLEASE NOTE: You have until 11.59pm (AEDT) on January 22, 2023 to submit your online application.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted for assessment.
Emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted for assessment.
- Australia Awards Fellowships guidelines [Word 1.2 MB]
- Australia Awards Fellowships guidelines [PDF 1.4 MB]
- Australia Awards Fellowships fact sheet [Word 120 kB]
- Australia Awards Fellowships fact sheet [PDF 250 kB]
- Australia Awards Q&A Industry Briefing [Word 120 kB]
- Australia Awards Q&A Industry Briefing [PDF 290 kB]