Australia's Quad partnership with India, Japan and the United States is a key pillar of our Indo-Pacific agenda. The Quad is a diplomatic network of four countries committed to supporting an open, inclusive and resilient region. It complements our other bilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation, including with ASEAN.
The Quad has a positive, practical agenda to respond to the region’s most pressing challenges, including COVID-19 vaccines, critical and emerging technology, cyber security, climate change, infrastructure, maritime security, countering disinformation, counter-terrorism, and humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.
The Quad Vaccines Partnership is expanding access to safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines in the Indo-Pacific by delivering vaccines, supporting vaccine rollouts across the region, and boosting vaccine manufacturing in India. Australia’s $100 million contribution will focus on ‘last-mile’ delivery support to Southeast Asia.
Quad partners are steadfast supporters of ASEAN centrality, the ASEAN-led architecture and ASEAN’s Outlook on Indo-Pacific.
The Quad's origins date back to our collaboration in response to the December 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
Quad meetings and processes
Quad partners engage through four primary channels – Leaders, Foreign Ministers, Senior Officials, and Experts.
On 4 March 2022, Quad Leaders met virtually to reaffirm their commitment to the Indo-Pacific and to discuss the ongoing conflict and humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Leaders issued a Joint Statement.
On 24 September 2021, US President Biden hosted the first in-person Quad Leaders’ Summit with Prime Minister Morrison, Indian Prime Minister Modi and then Japanese Prime Minister Suga in Washington. Leaders issued a Joint Statement and Summit Fact Sheet. At the Summit, leaders announced further initiatives on COVID-19 vaccines, critical and emerging technology, and combatting climate change, and launched Quad cooperation on clean energy supply chains, infrastructure, cyber, the sustainable and stable use of outer space, and cultivating next-generation STEM talent.
Leaders have agreed to meet annually.
Foreign Ministers' Meetings
Quad Leaders’ meetings build on extensive engagement by Quad Foreign Ministers. On 11 February 2022, former Foreign Minister Payne hosted the fourth Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Melbourne with Indian External Affairs Minister Jaishankar, Japanese Foreign Minister Hayashi and US Secretary of State Blinken. Foreign Ministers issued a Joint Statement.
Quad Foreign Ministers exchange views on regional strategic challenges and lead a program of practical cooperation on core regional priorities, including maritime security, countering disinformation, counter-terrorism and humanitarian and disaster relief.
Regular Senior Officials' Meetings
Nine Quad Senior Officials' Meetings have been held since November 2017. At these meetings, officials exchange strategic assessments and progress practical cooperation led by leaders and Foreign Ministers.
Senior Quad experts engage regularly across the breadth of the Quad's practical cooperation agenda.
February 2022 Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
Media releases and statements
- Quad Leaders’ Summit September 2021: Opening Remarks by PM Morrison
- Quad Leaders' Summit September 2021: Joint Statement
- Quad Leaders’ Summit September 2021: Summit Fact Sheet
- Quad Leaders’ Summit March 2021: Opening Remarks by PM Morrison
- Quad Leaders’ Summit March 2021: Joint Statement: 'The Spirit of the Quad'
- Quad Leaders’ Summit March 2021: Fact Sheet on Quad Summit Outcomes
- Quad Leaders’ Summit March 2021: Quad Leaders' Op-ed
- August 2021 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- February 2021 Quad Foreign Ministers' Meeting
- December 2020 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- October 2020 Quad Foreign Ministers' Meeting
- September 2020 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- November 2019 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- May 2019 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- November 2018 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- June 2018 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting
- November 2017 Quad Senior Officials' Meeting