Humanitarian policy and partnerships
United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF)
- 2020-21 total Australian ODA [budget estimate]
- $11.0 million
* Australia’s development efforts are set out in Partnerships for Recovery: Australia’s COVID-19 Development Response.
Australia works with the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) – a global fund that enables humanitarian partners to provide life-saving support to people in need through rapid response when a new crisis emerges, and critical support to underfunded crises.
Australia provided $11 million in funding to CERF in 2018-19, and was the 10th largest donor.
CERF provides humanitarian partners with funding that has each year on average:
- Delivered critical health care to 20 million people
- Provided food assistance to 10 million people
- Helped 8 million people access water and sanitation services
- Supported livelihoods for 5 million people
- Helped protect 4 million people
- Given shelter to 1 million people
Video: UN Central Emergency Response Fund
Find out more about how Australia supports CERF to deploy funding rapidly in a crisis.