About adjustments to Australian Bureau of Statistics data
To produce the most accurate datasets possible, we make several adjustments to the monthly trade statistics published by the ABS.
These adjustments are outlined in the document below. We recommend reading this document carefully before using our time series data.
- DFAT adjustments to ABS official trade data [PDF 376 KB]
- DFAT adjustments to ABS official trade data [DOCX 218 KB]
A second document – Appendix A – shows which countries have actually reported import and export totals for each six-month period. We strongly recommend referring to Appendix A when interpreting our time series data, especially the country and commodity pivot tables.
- Appendix A – actual export/import partner country data [PDF 323 KB]
- Appendix A – actual export/import partner country data [XLSX 68 KB]
Last updated: March 2023.
Direction of goods and services trade
These datasets contains detailed statistics on Australia's annual goods and services trade with the rest of the world. Datasets are available for both calendar and financial years and date back to 1986–87.
- Australia's direction of goods and services trade – calendar years from 1987 to present [XLSX 3.3 MB]
Last updated August 2022 using ABS catalogue 5368.0 (June 2022 data) and 5368.0.55.004
- Australia's direction of goods & services trade – financial years from 1989–90 to present [XLSX 3.2 MB]
Last updated: March 2023 using ABS catalogue 5368.0 (December 2022 data) and 5368.0.55.003.
Historical trade and economic data
DFAT maintains historical Australian trade and economic data dating back to 1901, with some series going back to 1826.
- Australia's trade and economic indicators [XLSX 151 KB]
- Australia's direction of merchandise trade [XLSX 412 KB]
For a historical overview of Australian trade, please download our statistical article Australia's trade since Federation [PDF 2.41 MB].
The following documents provide more background on the historical dataset:
- Explanatory notes [PDF 385 KB]
- Explanatory notes [DOCX 238 KB]
- Historical country economy map [XLSX 85 KB]
Australia's trade through time
This website documents milestones in Australia's trading history. Snapshot historical information is provided on trade prior to Federation in 1901 and then on a decade-by-decade basis from 1900 to the present. The interactive timeline allows students, researchers and members of the general public to access tailored information about Australia's trade history in a dynamic and engaging way.