Supporting the Indo-Pacific to tackle climate change
Australia supports climate change action through its development assistance program, guided by the Climate Change Action Strategy. The Strategy sets three key objectives to make the best use of our development assistance:
- support partner countries to adapt to climate change
- promote the shift to lower-emissions development
- support innovative solutions to climate change
Support to our region includes:
Putting more resources behind our climate work
Australia has committed $1.5 billion in climate finance for developing countries over 2020-25.
- This is a 50% increase on our 2015-20 climate finance pledge to help Indo-Pacific countries tackle climate change
- It includes and builds on our commitment to provide $500 million to the Pacific to invest in renewable energy, climate change and disaster resilience
- Australia will also step up its work with the private sector to achieve impact at scale in the Indo-Pacific region, and to support the goals of the Paris Agreement.