Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP)
ANCP monitoring and evaluation
Independent evaluation of the ANCP
DFAT has commissioned an independent evaluation of the ANCP to be conducted between November 2021 and July 2022. Further information on the evaluation can be found on ACFID's website.
The purpose of the evaluation is to assess the ANCP as a modality. It seeks to identify ways to strengthen the management and implementation arrangements of the ANCP, particularly in response to the changing development and NGO context.
The evaluation is primarily formative; however, a secondary summative focus will also assess high level impacts of the ANCP program.
The evaluation is designed to facilitate ANGOs' participation, with multiple opportunities to provide input and feedback. The data collection and reporting phase will take place over February to June 2022 and will include a range of methods and multiple opportunities to engage with NGOs and their local partners. Tetra Tech International Development (Tetra Tech) have been commissioned to undertake this evaluation on behalf of DFAT.
The evaluation plan outlines the approach, methodology, deliverables and timelines to guide the implementation of the evaluation
ANCP Program Logic
The ANCP Program Logic identifies the pathways along which the ANCP is expected to contribute to Australia’s efforts to sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction. It articulates the value-add of the ANCP to Australia’s development program.
The Program Logic informs the assessment of program performance, including a terms of reference for monitoring and engagement visits, and facilitates compliance with DFAT corporate reporting.
View the ANCP Program Logic.
Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Framework
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Framework (MELF) provides the evidence base to demonstrate the effectiveness of the ANCP in achieving results in economic growth and poverty reduction. The MELF consists of the following elements:
- common reporting formats, one for annual planning (due 30 June); and another for reporting performance and results against a common set of indicators (approximately 40). The performance report includes a financial acquittal (due 30 September)
- meta-evaluations which focus on the quality and range of outcomes in the implementation of ANCP activities
- thematic reviews which provide an opportunity to explore particular topics around development effectiveness in greater depth and demonstrate impact of ANCP against sectoral themes
- an annual program of in-country visits to monitor effectiveness, compliance and alignment with government priorities.
Under the MELF, ANCP Indicators were developed as a way for DFAT to capture the quantitative information about the contribution ANCP NGOs are making to the ANCP intermediate outcomes under the Program Logic as well as the Australian development program’s strategic goals more broadly. These indicators were revised following consultation and finalised in June 2020.
Additional COVID-19 specific indicators were finalised in August 2020 to allow consolidated reporting across programs supported by DFAT’s Humanitarian, Partnerships and NGO Division: the ANCP and the Australian Humanitarian Partnership Program (AHP). These indicators will remain in place for the duration of Partnerships for Recovery.
View the ANCP Indicators.
ANCP Performance Snapshot
Each year the ANCP provides a summary of the program’s achievements. The Performance Snapshot has replaced the Aid Program Performance Report (APPR).
- ANCP Performance Snapshot 2020-21
- ANCP Performance Snapshot 2019-20
- ANCP Performance Snapshot 2017-18
- ANCP APPR for 2016-17
- ANCP APPR for 2015-16
- ANCP APPR for 2014-15
- ANCP APPR for 2013-14
- 2019-20 Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) in the Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP)
- 2019-20 Localisation and the Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP)
- 2019 ANCP Thematic Review: Agricultural Development and Food Security
- 2019 Stories of Significant Change
- 2019 ANCP Learning Event Outcomes [DOCX 180 KB]
- 2019 ANCP Annual Reflections Workshop Outcomes [DOCX 145 KB]
- 2018 ANCP Data Systems Validation Review
- 2018 ANCP Annual Reflections Workshop Outcomes [PDF 612 KB]
- 2017 ANCP Annual Reflections Workshop Outcomes [PDF 532 KB]
- 2016 ANCP Annual Reflections Workshop Outcomes [PDF 540 KB]
- 2015 ANCP Annual Reflections Workshop Outcomes [PDF 450 KB]
- 2015 ODE Evaluation of the ANCP
- 2013 ANCP Meta Evaluation
- 2013 ANCP Meta Evaluation – Management Response
- 2014 ANCP Gender Thematic Review
- 2012 ANCP Partnerships Mid-Term Review
- 2011 ANCP Thematic Review: How do ANCP activities engage with the poorest and most marginalised people?