Corporate information and resources
DFAT’s regulators, the Australian Passports Office, the Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office and the Australian Sanctions Office, are committed to providing streamlined services and minimising the burden and cost of regulation for our clients. Further information about the Government’s deregulation agenda is available from the Deregulation Taskforce.
The Regulator Performance Framework commenced on 1 July 2015 and forms an important part of the Government's commitment to reduce unnecessary and inefficient regulation. The Framework guides Commonwealth regulators in minimising their impact on those they regulate while still delivering the vital role they have been asked to perform.
The Framework establishes a common set of six outcomes-based key performance indicators (KPIs) that will allow for the comprehensive assessment of regulator performance and their engagement with stakeholders, specifically:
- Regulators do not unnecessarily impede the efficient operation of regulated entities
- Communication with regulated entities is clear, targeted and effective
- Action undertaken by regulators are proportionate to the regulatory risk being managed
- Compliance and monitoring approaches are streamlined and coordinated
- Regulators are open and transparent in their dealings with regulated entities, and
- Regulators actively contribute to the continuous improvement of regulatory frameworks.
Regulators must establish metrics to support assessment against the KPIs.
In consultation with key stakeholders, DFAT has developed performance metrics for the Australian Passport Office, Australia's Sanctions Regulator (now Australian Sanctions Office) and the Australian Safeguards and Non-proliferation Office.
The metrics will be used by these three regulators in annual self-assessments of their performance.
2019-2020 regulator self-assessments:
- Australian Passport Office self-assessment [Word 1.3 MB]
[PDF 1.4 MB]
- Australian Sanctions Office self-assessment [Word 1.1 MB]
[PDF 430 KB]
- Australian Safeguards and Non-proliferation Office self-assessment [Word 455 KB]
[PDF 445 KB]
2018-19 regulator self-assessments:
2017-18 regulator self-assessments:
2016-17 regulator self-assessments:
2015-16 regulator self-assessments: