Australia-UK FTA Chapter 23 Development
Article 23.1 General Provisions
1. The Parties acknowledge the importance of development in promoting inclusive economic growth, as well as the instrumental role that trade and investment can play in contributing to economic development and prosperity. Inclusive economic growth includes a more broad-based distribution of the benefits of economic growth through the expansion of business and industry, the creation of jobs, and the alleviation of poverty.
2. The Parties acknowledge that effective domestic coordination of trade, investment, and development policies can contribute to inclusive economic growth for developing countries.
3. The Parties affirm the importance of increased participation of developing countries in the global economy and recognise the vital contribution of the World Trade Organization to trade and development.
Article 23.2 Joint Development Activities
1. The Parties recognise the value in undertaking joint development activities relating to trade and investment, which may include:
(a) an exchange of information between the Parties, relating to experience, cooperation, best practice, technical assistance, or capacity building;
(b) mutually agreed cooperation, technical assistance, or capacity building on issues such as customs procedures, trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade, trade in services, or digital trade;
(c) mutually agreed cooperation in international fora;
(d) inviting, as appropriate, the assistance of relevant international institutions, private sector entities, non-governmental organisations, or other institutions; or
(e) an exchange of views on methodologies for monitoring the implementation and operation of this Chapter.
2. Each Party may monitor and assess the role this Agreement plays in relation to development, subject to its laws, regulations, policies, and practices.
Article 23.3 Committee on Cooperation
The Committee on Cooperation established under Article 27.4 (Committee on Cooperation - Cooperation) shall consider any matter under this Chapter related to cooperation and support any activities pursuant to Article 23.2 (Joint Development Activities).
Article 23.4 Non-Application of Dispute Settlement
Neither Party shall have recourse to dispute settlement under Chapter 30 (Dispute Settlement) for any matter arising under this Chapter.