Myanmar, one of the poorest countries in the region, is in a period of crisis following the deposition on 1 February 2021 of the democratically elected government. Since the coup, the humanitarian, security, health, and economic situation in Myanmar has been volatile and is worsening.
Australia has been a steadfast supporter of Myanmar’s transition to democracy and a market-led economy. This has been underpinned by Australia’s development assistance.
- Myanmar country brief
- Myanmar country/economy fact sheet [PDF]
- Australia's development assistance to Myanmar
- Myanmar sanctions
- ASEAN – Australia New Zealand Free Trade Agreement
- Myanmar Australia Awards
- Before you travel, visit smartraveller.gov.au
- Australian Passports Office
- Visa information