Secretary and Deputy Secretaries
Secretary and Deputy Secretaries
Secretary, Frances Adamson
Frances Adamson has led the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as Secretary since 25 August 2016.
Prior to her appointment as Secretary, Ms Adamson was International Adviser to the Prime Minister the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP from November 2015.
Download the photo of Frances Adamson in print-quality [JPEG 1 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
Deputy Secretary, Penny Williams PSM
Ms Williams is responsible for the Services Delivery Group, which includes:
- Australian Passport Office
- Contracting and Aid Management Division
- Corporate Management Group (People, Finance and Security Branches)
- Diplomatic Academy
- Information Management and Technology Division
- Overseas Property Office and Services
- Protocol Branch
Ms Williams chairs the Workplace Relations Committee, the Ethics Committee, the Information and Communications Technology Steering Committee, the Business Continuity Taskforce and the Indigenous Taskforce.
Download the photo of Penny Williams in print-quality [JPG 2 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
Deputy Secretary, Christopher Langman
Mr Langman is responsible for the Trade, Investment and Business Engagement Group, which includes:
- Regional Trade Agreements Division
- Investment and Economic Division
- Office of Trade Negotiations
- Europe and Latin America Division
- State and Territory Offices
Mr Langman will also act as an alternate ex-officio government member on the EFIC Board and represent the department on the International Economic Policy Group and the Council on Australia-Latin America Relations.
Download the photo of Christopher Langman in print-quality [JPG 1.08 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
Deputy Secretary, Clare Walsh
Ms Walsh is responsible for the Global Cooperation, Development and Partnerships Group which includes:
- Development Policy Division
- Multilateral Development and Finance Division
- Multilateral Policy Division
- Public Diplomacy, Communications and Scholarships Division
- Centre for Health Security
- Office of Development Effectiveness
Ms Walsh chairs the Aid Governance Board. She also represents the department on the Independent Evaluation Committee.
Download the photo of Clare Walsh in print-quality [PNG 2.96 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
Deputy Secretary, Tony Sheehan
Mr Sheehan is responsible for the International Security, Humanitarian and Consular Group, which includes:
- Consular & Crisis Management Division
- Humanitarian, NGOs and Partnerships Division
- International Security Division
- Legal Division
- Middle East and Africa Division
- Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office
- Audit Branch
Mr Sheehan represents the department on the Council for Australian-Arab Relations. He also attends, as required, the Australian Government Crisis Committee (AGCC) and the National Crisis Committee (NCC).
Download the photo of Tony Sheehan in print-quality [JPG 1.8 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
Head of the Office of the Pacific, Ewen McDonald
Mr McDonald is responsible for the Office of the Pacific.
The Office of the Pacific coordinates the Australian Government effort to build stronger relationships with Pacific leaders, governments and people, as well as with regional organisations and institutions.
Mr McDonald chairs the Australian Infrastructure Financing Facility (AIFFP) Board and the whole-of-government Pacific Coordination Committee.
Download the photo of Ewen McDonald in print-quality [JPG 2 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.
A/g Deputy Secretary, Justin Hayhurst
Justin Hayhurst is responsible for the Indo-Pacific Group, which includes:
- Southeast Asia Division
- North Asia Division
- US and Indo-Pacific Strategy Division
- South-West Asia Division
- Strategic Policy Contestability and Futures Branch
Download the photo of Justin Hayhurst [JPG 2 MB]. Images can be freely used for any non-commercial purpose.