Guidance for Australian business
This page provides guidance for Australian businesses seeking to take advantage of the opportunities created by the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement.
These opportunities include:
- Greater market access
- Reduced import tariffs in Thailand
- A more level playing field in Thailand with both local and foreign firms
Australian businesses can also use the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Agreement (AANZFTA) to trade with Thailand.
- Doing business in Thailand
- A practical guide for Australian exporters on how to benefit from the provisions of TAFTA
- Full text of the Thailand-Australia FTA
- Schedule of Thai tariff commitments
- Rules of Origin
Certificates of Origin
Reduced or zero tariffs are only available for goods that originate from Australia or Thailand. If products satisfy the relevant 'rule(s) of origin', businesses should obtain a Certificate of Origin to ensure that products receive the TAFTA preferential tariff rates.
The Australian Industry Group (AI Group), Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI), Export Certification Services (IECS) and affiliated bodies are authorised to certify origin for TAFTA ('Authorised Bodies'). Certificates of Origin can be obtained from the following:
- Australian Industry Group : (03) 9867 0132
- Business SA : (08) 8300 0105
- Chamber of Commerce & Industry Northern Territory : (08) 8982 8125
- Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland : (07) 3842 2294
- NSW Business Chamber (t/a Australian Business Chamber) : 1800 505 529
- Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce & Industry : (03) 6236 3600
- Launceston Chamber of Commerce : (03) 6331 9364
- Victorian Employers Chamber of Commerce & Industry : (03) 8662 5325
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia : (08) 9365 7620
- International Export Certification Services : (02) 8831 6395
- TradeWindow Origin: (02) 9098 5969
- The Australian Government, through Austrade, can provide about doing business in Thailand, including how businesses in your sector are faring.