Australian Guide to the Agreement
This Guide outlines AANZFTA obligations. The Guide was prepared by Australian Government officials at the time of signing in February 2009 and does not form part of the Agreement signed by Australian, New Zealand and ASEAN member governments. It does not take account of the changes to AANZFTA, particularly on rules of origin, made by the First Protocol to Amend the AANZFTA Agreement.
For further information for business, including on the First Protocol to Amend the AANZFTA Agreement, please see the For business page.
AANZFTA also provides for an economic cooperation work programme (ECWP) to support implementation of the Agreement. Further information about the ECWP under AANZFTA can be found in the:
Australia's assistance under AANZFTA includes multi-year initiatives delivering real outcomes. For example, we are helping ASEAN Member States to introduce national competition policies and laws, establish competition authorities and strengthen competition law enforcement. Further information on the AANZFTA Economic Cooperation Support Program can be found on the ASEAN Secretariat's AANZFTA website.
AANZFTA provides for an FTA Joint Committee consisting of representatives of the Parties to oversee the implementation and operation of the Agreement. The FTA Joint Committee publishes a summary of the outcomes of its meetings. These are available on the ASEAN Secretariat's AANZFTA website. The FTA Joint Committee reports to AANZFTA Ministers (ASEAN Economic Ministers – Closer Economic Relations Consultations). Joint Media Statements from these meetings are available.
AANZFTA Upgrade Submissions 2018-2023
- Asia Business Trade Association (ABTA)
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry [PDF 222 KB]
- Australian Pork Limited [PDF 630 KB]
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia [PDF 922 KB]
- Dr Luke Nottage
- Export Council of Australia [PDF 1 MB]
- Freight and Trade Alliance and the Australian Peak Shippers Association [PDF 143 KB]
- Minerals Council of Australia [PDF 2.4 MB]
The MCA requested this report on South and East Asia be treated as a submission for the AANZFTA General Review, and drew attention to the following pages as particularly relevant: pp 47-53, 56-59 and 60-67 (recommendations).
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry [PDF 249 KB]
- Australian Fair Trade & Investment Network review of the AANZFTA on Investor-State Dispute Settlement Provisions [PDF 315 KB]