Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

Please read the CAAR Grant Guidelines before you submit your application.

Can I apply for a grant?

You can apply for a grant if you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or on behalf of an Australian organisation. DFAT provides grants to non-Australian organisations, if working alongside an Australian partner.

Can I apply for a grant if the project will take more than one year to complete?

Yes, but you will only receive funding for one year. CAAR does not fund multi-year grants.

How do I apply?

The applicant will need to submit an application online through the CAAR grant round. The application link is powered by Smartygrants which will be provided on the CAAR website at the time the grant round opens around February each year. You will need to log in at the prompts to start your application. Advertising of this round will be on the CAAR Website, CAAR Facebook and the CAAR Twitter account.

What are the chances of getting a grant?

The grant process is competitive. The CAAR Board assesses grant applications by considering how the proposal will further the goals of the Council and whether the application meets the priorities outlined in the strategic objectives. The grant guidelines can be found on the CAAR website. The council has a limited budget, which means not all projects that satisfy the guidelines and further the goals of the council can be funded. If you are unsure if your project meets the council's requirements please send an email to (responses within two working days) to seek advice prior to completing an application.

Is there a page limit for the application form and CV?

There are some word limits in the Smartygrants form. The assessment committee read many applications, therefore, the clearer the applicant's rationale, the stronger the application. The applicants CV should be no longer than one page.

Can videos and images be uploaded in my application?

Yes, as long it tells a story of your project.

Do I need to brief my referees about the project and participants?

Yes, DFAT may contact your referees to discuss the project. You need to demonstrate you are able to do what you said you will do in the application and that there is likely to be a long-term outcome.

Do I need to contact visitors/speakers/project partners in our partner countries before sending in an application?

The project should be well thought out and ready to be implemented. It also needs to be completed within a 12 month period. Applicants should have, at least, in principle support from the organisation or people identified as being a project partner in the application. Project counterparts (overseas) should be well-briefed about the project and their role in it. Written support from the project partner/s strengthens the application.

What if I need a grant quickly or 'out of time'?

The CAAR conducts one grant assessment round per year. You will need to wait until the following grant round to apply.

I am a researcher at a university. Should I apply for a grant in my own name, or on behalf of my university?

The CAAR prefers that applications are made on behalf of the research or host institution rather than by individuals.

Can I use the CAAR grant to pay for salaries?

The CAAR does not provide grants to pay for salaries for example, a research assistant. Grants do not cover administrative costs from day-to-day operations of an organisation (including salaries, leases of equipment or property) or activities that are the responsibility of other funding bodies or other government agencies. For example, academic research, assistance to business or development projects. The CAAR can pay for services related to a specific project. For example, engaging a graphic designer to produce a logo could potentially be appropriate.

Can I pay per diems to consultants?

While the CAAR will not pay for salaries, payment of per diems may be possible if the amount is reasonable and appropriate in the context of the application.

How much information should I provide in the budget?

Short but descriptive information is required. For example:

  1. 'miscellaneous' will need to be explained to detail what it includes.
  2. 'accommodation' information is required advising how many persons and dates of travel.

Who will assess applications?

The CAAR Board members and DFAT officers assess each application.

If I am successful, what happens next?

DFAT will send you an email congratulating you on your success and requesting you complete the Communications Outline for the project and a Vendor Request Form. You will then receive a 'letter of offer / funding agreement' (contract) for signing. This states the terms and conditions of accepting the funding and requests an invoice to enable payment. A request to sign the 'Working with Vulnerable People Statement of Compliance' form will require signing.

Can I appeal a grant decision?

The Board's decision is final with no mechanism for appeal.

Do I need to do anything to complete my CAAR grant?

Yes, the applicant will need to submit an acquittal report detailing how the funds were spent, what the outcomes were and how they were achieved. The applicant will need to provide receipts and complete a 'return of unspent funds' form. Any social media produced including, videos, photographs and online features should be sent to DFAT and any material produced.

For example, reports, journal articles, policy papers relating to the project should also be submitted as part of the acquittal process.

Note: DFAT does not assist with visa applications or travel advice.

Please refer to: Smartraveller for 'travel insurance, stay healthy, travel smart' and 'register your travel' when travelling in or out of Australia.

Back to top