Australia-Japan Foundation Grants
Reopened 2020-21 grant round
The Australia-Japan Foundation has reopened its 2020-21 grant round, which had been postponed earlier in the year due to the impact of COVID-19.
The Australia-Japan Foundation remains committed to supporting people-to-people and institutional engagement between Australia and Japan.
We thank applicants for their interest and encourage applicants to consider resubmitting proposals previously provided for the 2020-21 round.
Proposals for this round must be consistent with government restrictions in response to COVID-19.
Key priority areas
- Communication, information and advocacy
- Economic diplomacy and geopolitics
- Education and Australian studies
- Scientific innovation
- Society, culture and sport
Timeline for reopened 2020-21 grant round
- Opening date – 7 September 2020
- Closing date for submitting applications – 6 October 2020
- Successful applicants notified – Late November to early December
- Processing of grant agreements for successful applicants – Late November to early December
- Unsuccessful applicants notified – early to mid-December
How to apply
You must read the grant guidelines and frequently asked questions (FAQs) before starting an application.
- Australia-Japan Foundation 2020 Grant Guidelines (updated) [PDF 360KB]
- Australia-Japan Foundation 2020 Grant Guidelines (updated) [Docx 276KB]
- FAQs – Australia-Japan Foundation 2020 Grant Round [Docx 21KB]
All applications must be submitted using SmartyGrants.