Skip to main content

Protocol Guidelines

4.1 Dependants

The Australian Government will accept as a dependant a spouse, de facto or same sex partner provided they are formally nominated by the sending government or international organization, and that reciprocal recognition would be given by the sending state. Unmarried children up to 21 years of age who are permanent members of the official's physical household and formally nominated are also accepted as dependants.

As a courtesy, unmarried children over 21 but not yet 25 who are full-time students at an Australian educational institution are also accepted as dependants. Evidence of payment of student fees must be provided to Protocol Branch ( to ensure continuity of visa arrangements.

Visas will be granted to other family members, such as children over 25 or parents, only in exceptional circumstances where there is an established history of dependence on the official for medical reasons. The sending state or international organisation must explain and document the nature of the dependency. If approved, such dependants are accepted as private family members without privileges or immunities.

Last Updated: 24 October 2018
Back to top