Skip to main content

Consular services

Consular services

Emergency consular support

If you're an Australian citizen and you have serious concerns about your welfare or that of another Australian overseas, contact your local Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate, or call our 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on:

  • 1300 555 135 within Australia
  • +61 2 6261 3305 from anywhere in the world.

The Australian Government delivers a range of consular services for Australian citizens travelling or living overseas. We deliver our services through Australian embassies, high commissions and consulates overseas.

We only provide consular services to Australian permanent residents in the event of a crisis overseas. This may include government-assisted evacuations when provided to Australian citizens.

If you’re a dual national, we will only be able to assist you in your country of other nationality in exceptional circumstances.

The Consular Services Charter outlines how the Australian Government can and can’t help you while you’re overseas.

Notarial services

The Australian Government can provide some notarial services. The services we provide depend on whether they’re requested in Australia or overseas. We charge fees for our service.

Read more about the notarial services we can provide.

Consular State of Play

The Consular State of Play is a statistical snapshot of the consular assistance and crisis support the Australian Government provided to Australians overseas during the previous financial year.

You can read and download the current Consular State of Play and all previous versions on Smartraveller.

Back to top