Sharing Syrian scholarship on the uprising with the Australian public
- Sector: Building Cultural Understanding / Society and Culture
- Country location: Australia
- Grantee: Deakin University
This project will bring the leading Syrian researcher Zaki Mehchy, who is the co-founder of the Syrian Center for Policy Research (SCPR) to give public lectures (Melbourne, Sydney) and a government seminar (Canberra) on the root causes and impacts of the Syrian uprising. The SCPR is an independent think tank that was established in Damascus in 2011, but has subsequently moved to Beirut. The think tank is the only body that has been able to do in-depth, quality research into economic changes in Syria since the conflict began. It regularly releases highly cited reports on topics such as Social Degradation in Syria, the impact of Forced Dispersion and looking at health centre and hospital indices in Syria.
- ADI public event, Melbourne, 14 June 2018
- Closed meeting with ADI members, Melbourne, 14 June 2018
- Meetings with CAAR and DFAT officials, Canberra, 13 June 2018
- Public event at Sydney Ideas at the University of Sydney, Sydney, 12 June 2018
- Council for Australian-Arab Relations grant offer: $9,945.
- Total project value: $9,945.