Future vegetable production, collaborating to learn from the arid environments
- Sector: Science, Technology and Innovation
- Country location: Australia, United Arab Emirates
- Grantee: Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Vegetable production in parts of Australia continue to face pressure from climate extremes and limited water availability. These conditions are not dissimilar to that faced by producers in arid environments such as the UAE. Innovation and learning will be integral to future industry sustainability.
Queensland vegetable industry, through co-operation between the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, grower organisations and the International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture will engage with UAE farmers through a study trip to learn about farming in an arid environment.
- Study tour: UAE, 14 to 19 October 2019
- Industry presentations: Stanthorpe, Gatton and Bundaberg Queensland, December 2019
- Council for Australian-Arab Relations grant offer: $20,000.
- Total project value: $20,000.