Democracy Education in Tunisia – Building Capacity among Youth Leaders
- Sector: Building Cultural Understanding / Society and Culture
- Country location: Australia
- Grantee: Deakin University
The project will involve youth leaders from Tunisia who are seen as potential change-makers in the area of civic and democracy education. The select group of youth will be recruited through the project's partner organization in Tunisia, the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) who are involved in significant work around democracy education among youth in Tunisia and across the region. Building on the Alfred Deakin Institute's expertise around youth and civic engagement and taking advantage of the practical teaching and training capacity of our partner IDEA, the project will make a significant contribution in an area of critical need for Tunisia as it prepares for the 2017 municipal elections. It will focus on building capacity around electoral parliamentary democracy with learning and engagement activities that involve expert presentations, facilitated focus groups and field visits to key political and electoral institutions.
- Interactive sessions with VEC or AEC representatives, Melbourne, 20 November 2017
- Presentation on constitution, Melbourne, 20 November 2017
- Presentation on the issue of justice, Melbourne, 21 November 2017
- Interactive sessions on public administration, Melbourne, 21 November 2017
- Workshop with civic society and workshop style session on access to information, media and civic education, Melbourne, 22 November 2017
- Field visit to some local councils in Victoria to learn more about decentralisation and local governance, Melbourne, 23 November 2017
- Field visits to multiple sites in Victoria, Melbourne, 23 November 2017
- Discussion/QâA style meeting with local state or federal Member of Parliament or sitting politician, or tour guide at Parliament, Canberra, 24 November 2017
- Interactive panel discussion with political party representatives, Canberra, 24 November 2017
- Field visit to IDEA in Canberra, Canberra, 24 November 2017
- Field visits to DFAT, Parliament House (visit PEO, observe Sitting session), Electoral Education Centre
- (interactive class), Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House, Canberra, 24 November 2017
- Lunch meeting hosted by the Tunisian Ambassador, Canberra, 24 November 2017
- Council for Australian-Arab Relations grant offer: $30,000.
- Total project value: $67,838.