Universal Periodic Review of Trinidad & Tobago, Statement by Australia, 9 November 2021
Universal Periodic Review Working Group – 39th Session
Universal Periodic Review of Trinidad and Tobago
Statement by Australia
Tuesday 9 November 2021
Thank you, [President/Vice President]
Australia commends Trinidad and Tobago for efforts to honour its international obligations with respect to migrants and refugees, particularly its establishment of a National Registration Process to register Venezuelan nationals.
Australia recommends that Trinidad and Tobago:
- Adopt domestic legislation to reflect the provisions and principles of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and amend all legislation that discriminates against persons with disabilities.
- Improve implementation of national legislation and policies to reduce gender-based violence and protect victims and survivors, including improving staff training for the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service’s Gender-based Violence Unit.
- Establish a de jure moratorium on the death penalty with a view to ratifying the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
- Amend the Equal Opportunity Act to prohibit discrimination against LGBTI persons, and remove laws criminalising consensual same sex relations.
- Enact legislation for the protection of refugees and the granting of asylum under international refugee instruments.