Universal Periodic Review of Suriname, Statement by Australia, 1 November 2021
Universal Periodic Review Working Group – 39th Session
Universal Periodic Review of Suriname
Statement by Australia
Monday 1 November 2021
Thank you, [President/Vice President]
Australia commends Suriname for taking steps towards amending the Military Penal Code to abolish the death penalty.
Australia recommends that Suriname:
- Ratify the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
- Establish and fully operationalise a National Human Rights Institution in accordance with the Paris Principles.
- Enact legislation to explicitly prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Adopt the draft law on Equal Treatment of Women and Men and ensure it includes a definition of discrimination against women in line with Article 1 of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women.
- Establish a formal platform to guarantee and protect the rights of indigenous and tribal peoples.