Australian legal obligations: Permits and Notifications
Summary of Import Permit Provisions
Schedule 1 Chemicals
- An individual import permit is required for each shipment of a Schedule 1 chemical. Schedule 1 chemicals (or mixtures thereof) may only be imported from CWC member countries and cannot be re-exported.
- Applications for import permits must be received by ASNO not less than 37 days before the proposed shipment date.
- The imported Schedule 1 chemical may only be used for research, medical or pharmaceutical purposes.
- ASNO must be notified by the importer of the actual date of arrival of each shipment within one month of the import arriving in Australia.
Schedule 2 and Schedule 3 chemicals
- Permits are required for importing Schedule 2 and 3 chemicals.
- These permits cover multiple shipments of any number of Schedule 2 or 3 chemicals.
- These permits may be automatically renewed on an annual basis for up to four years.
- Permit holders are required to provide to ASNO in February of each year, details of each Schedule 2 and 3 import for the preceding calendar year.
- Schedule 2 chemicals may only be imported from CWC member countries
- Permit holders are required to provide details of customer purchasing
- Applications to import are must be received by ASNO not less than 7 days prior to the first import of chemicals nominated on the permit.