250 Australian Delegation, United Nations to Department of External Affairs
Cablegram UN146, NEW YORK, 25 February 1949, 4.38 p.m.
Following is text of United States resolution on economic development.
The economic and Social Council -
(1) Taking into account the resolutions of the General Assembly in respect to economic development (198-III) and technical assistance for economic development (200-III),
(2) Recogniz[ing] great significant contribution to economic development that can be made through international co-operation among countries, especially through the United Nations and in specialised agencies, and
(3) Recognizing the special importance f[or] economic development of expanding the international exchange of technical knowledge,
(4) Calls upon member Governments to promote by all appropriate means the expansion of the international exchange of technical knowledge, especially through the United Nations and in specialised agencies, and
(5) Requests the Secretary-General, in consultation with the executive heads of the interested specialised agencies through the Administrative Committees on Co-ordination, to prepare a report for the Ninth Session of the Council setting forth:
(a) A comprehensive plan for an expanded co-operative programme of technical assistance for economic development through the United Nations and in specialised agencies,
(b) Methods of financing such a programme including special budgets, and
(c) Ways of co-ordinating the planning and execution of the programme.
[AA : A1838, 856/10/1/4]