Universal Periodic Review of Myanmar, Statement by Australia, 25 January 2021
Universal Periodic Review Working Group – 37th Session
Universal Periodic Review of Myanmar
Statement by Australia
25 January 2021
Thank you, Vice-President
Australia congratulates Myanmar on its recent elections and calls for further concrete action to respond to the human rights situation in Myanmar.
Australia recommends that Myanmar:
- Ensure accountability and end impunity for human rights violations and serious international crimes through robust and transparent processes, and provide full cooperation and unrestricted access to UN human rights mechanisms.
- Create conditions conducive to safe, voluntary, dignified, and sustainable returns of Rohingya and other displaced persons.
- Release those imprisoned for exercising their rights to freedom of expression and assembly, and ensure these rights are protected in law and realised equitably.
- Take action to protect the rights of women and girls, LGBTI people and persons with disabilities, including through legislative reform for adequate protections from discrimination, violence including all forms of sexual violence, and decriminalises same-sex sexual conduct.
- Formalise a moratorium on the death penalty.