Australian General Statement on Cybercrime
Australia General Statement under item 108 –
A.C.3/76/L.9/Rev.1 – Crime Omnibus
- We thank Italy for their work on this resolution. My delegation wants to address one important issue.
- Cybercrime is a pervasive and constantly evolving threat that affects all States, large and small.
- With our lives moving increasingly online in the wake of COVID-19, this growing threat has become even more pernicious.
- Australia was disappointed that in discussions on agenda item 108, some states sought to promote their national agendas by departing from consensus-based terminology that has been widely accepted by the international community on many occasions.
- A good faith, consensus-based approach to international cooperation on cybercrime will be particularly important in the forthcoming negotiations for a treaty on this matter.
- Australia looks forward to the opportunity to engage in a broad-based exchange of views from all States at the first negotiating session in January
- and will focus on practical steps that can help us all to better combat cybercriminals
I thank you