Belize country brief
Pursuit of common interests in the UN, UN agencies and the Commonwealth.
Trade and investment opportunities exist in Belize for Australian businesses, including in agriculture, tourism and transport and related industries.
Australia and Belize established diplomatic relations in 1982. Australia's High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago is accredited to Belize. Belize has an Honorary Consul in Sydney.
Information on our economic partnership can be found in our Economic Factsheet for Belize.
Australia and Belize are members of the Commonwealth, United Nations and UN organisations.
Belize is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and other regional organisations.
Belize's principal export destinations are the United Kingdom, the United States and Jamaica. Its principal import sources are the United States, China and Mexico.
Australia's foreign policy is guided by the Foreign Policy White Paper.
- Belizean visitors to Australia (2017) – <10
- Australian visitors to Belize (primary destination 2017) – 100
- Resident Australian population born in Belize (2016) – 60
- Belize students in Australia (2017) – 6
High level engagement
- 2018 November – Belize's Deputy Prime Minister, Patrick Faber, visited Queensland to attend a UNESCO conference on the Great Barrier Reef
- 2017 July – Foreign Minister Julie Bishop met Belize's Foreign Minister Elrington in Grenada
Australian High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago
Belize is eligible for the Australian Government's Endeavour Leadership Program. Under the previous Endeavour Mobility Grants and Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships programs, one Australian was offered the opportunity to undertake study in Belize.
A Foreign Service officer from Belize participated in DFAT's International Graduate Program in 2017.
Through the Direct Aid Program, the Australian Government provides financial support to a range of projects in Belize. In 2017-18, the Direct Aid Program supported projects focused on children with disabilities, water and sanitation and small-scale agriculture.