During the reporting period the department provided submissions and/or gave evidence to the following parliamentary committees:
Joint Standing Committee on Treaties
- Agreement between Australia and the European Union Establishing a Framework for the Participation of Australia in European Crisis Management Operations, hearing 10 August 2015.
- Free Trade Agreement between the Government of Australia and the Government of The People’s Republic of China, hearings 17 August and 7 September 2015.
- Articles of Agreement for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, hearing 14 September 2015.
- Australia’s denunciation of the Convention relating to International Exhibitions, and Protocol of Signature, hearing 14 September 2015.
- Treaty between Australia and the Federative Republic of Brazil on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, hearing 12 October 2015.
- Agreement between the Government of Australia and the Government of the Republic of India Concerning Transfer of Sentenced Persons, hearing 9 November 2015.
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement, hearing 22 February 2016.
- Treaty on Extradition between Australia and The People’s Republic of China, hearing 2 May 2016.
Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade
- Human rights issues confronting women and girls in the Indian Ocean—Asia Pacific Region (supplementary submissions 13 and 27 July 2015).
- A world without the death penalty: Australia’s Advocacy for the Abolition of the Death Penalty, hearing 9 December 2015.
- The role of development partnerships in agriculture and agribusiness in promoting prosperity, reducing poverty and enhancing stability in the Indo–Pacific region, hearing 22 February 2016.
- (Australia’s trade and investment relationships with countries of the Middle East. [The committee tabled its report 4 May 2016. The department provided a submission and gave evidence in May and November 2014 respectively.])
Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee
- Inquiry into Australia’s relationship with Mexico, hearing 29 October 2015.
- The delivery and effectiveness of Australia’s bilateral aid program in Papua New Guinea, hearing 27 November 2015.
- Partial suspension of sanctions against Iran, hearing 27 April 2016.
Joint Select Committee on Trade and Investment Growth
- Inquiry into Business Utilisation of Australia’s Free Trade Agreements, hearing 21 July 2015.
Joint Select Committee on Northern Australia
- Inquiry into Opportunities for Expanding Aquaculture in Northern Australia, hearing 15 September 2015.
Joint Standing Committee on Migration
- Inquiry into the Seasonal Worker Programme, hearing 13 November 2015.
Senate Economics References Committee
- Third party certification of food, hearing 21 August 2015.
- Inquiry into foreign bribery (input into a 15 September 2015 cross-agency submission coordinated by Attorney-General’s Department).
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works
- Fit-out of the Australian Embassy in Doha, Qatar, hearing 3 March 2016.
House of Representatives Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs
- Inquiry into the regulatory and legislative aspects of international and domestic surrogacy arrangements, hearing 3 March 2016.