Victoria State Office

Notarials FAQ

Overseas governments sometimes need proof that Australian documents, or the signatures of Australian officials on documents, are genuine before they will accept them. We are able to certify that a signature, stamp or seal on a document is genuine by checking it against a specimen held on file, and then stamping the document with an Authentication or Apostille. This is a legal process. We will only issue stamps once we are satisfied the signature, stamp or seal on a document is not fraudulent. Instances of attempted fraud in the past mean that we need to be cautious about issuing an Authentication or Apostille. Which stamp do I need? Authentication or Apostille That depends on the country you are dealing with. As a general rule, countries that are party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents require anApostille on documents which qualify as Australian public documents.  A full list of countries that are party to this convention can be found at the Hague Conference on Private International Law website Documents going to countries that are not party to the Hague Convention generally require anAuthentication.These countries include China, Vietnam and most of the Middle East. Please check with the government of the country concerned to find out which stamp you need, and which documents (if any) you need to have stamped. This advice can only be provided by the overseas government you are dealing with, or those countries that have List of Embassies and/or Consulates in Australia How do I get an Authentication or Apostille?   You need to give us a document with an original signature, seal or stamp on it. That means either the original document or a notarised copy

We can stamp any official Australian Government document with an original signature, stamp or seal on it.

If the document is not an official Australian Government document (such as legal documents or medical certificates) the document (or a copy of it) must be notarised by an Australian Notary Public (Notaries are senior legal practitioners who authenticate, prepare, attest, witness and certify original and copy legal documents for use overseas) before you bring it to us. Telephone 03 9607 9311 Find your nearest Notary Public Depending on the type of document Translated documents must either be notarised by an Australian Notary Public, or have been translated and signed/stamped by the accredited translating service. The National Authority for Accredited Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).If you are dealing with a private translation company, please ensure the translator signs the document and that they include their NAATI details. Telephone (03) 96423301 or Hot Line 1300557470

 NAATI Contact Website

Selected Business documents must be notarised or certified by the relevant chamber of commerce/industry or notarised by an Australian Notary Public. All tertiary education documents must be signed by an Australian Notary Public or signed and stamped by the central Student Administration area of the issuing institution. Please note that some universities will not sign and stamp their documents, in which case the document must be notarised by an Australian Notary Public. Marriage Certificates Must be issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Telephone 1300369367

BDM Website Victoria Other Registries


If you need your document bound with a ribbon and seal, the document must be signed on every page by the person whose signature we are authenticating

(i.e. abound document must carry the same signature of the same Australian Notary Public or Government Official on every page).

Binding costs $20.00 extra.

You may wish to have your document bound by an Australian Notary Public instead before you bring it to us for the Apostille or Authentication.

Please check with the receiving country if they will accept a Notary Public's binding. Certificates of no impediment to Marriage – CNI

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia and intending to marry overseas, the laws of some Countries require that before a foreigner can marry in their jurisdiction, a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) is required from the country they belong. Some Countries will only accept CNI's issued by their local Australian embassy/consulate/mission. Confirmation with the relevant overseas mission should be sought  In the event that the foreign authority will accept a CNI you can print the relevant application form from the website.   Please contact us for further advice regarding our lodgement requirements.

How much does it cost?

Payment must be in Australian Dollars.

We will accept payment by:

(Note: If lodging in person at Our Office, EFTPOS facility is available)

How long does it take to Process?

Our processing turnaround time is two (2) working days.

Where do I have to go?

You can lodge your document at our Office. We are open from 8.30am to 1.00pm Monday to Friday.  No appointment is necessary:

Australian Passport Office
Notarial Unit,
Level 13, Casselden Place  2 Lonsdale Street (Corner of Spring)
Melbourne VIC 3000

What if I can't get to the Office?

You can send your documentation into us together with your payment and a Notarial request form to: 

Australian Passport Office
Notarial Unit
GPO Box 1588
Melbourne Vic 3001

You may collect your processed documentation from our office or returned back to you by regular mail. 

If you require your documentation to be returned by express or registered mail, you must include the pre-paid self addressed envelope when you submit your request.

Note: Documents received without the correct payment will be posted back to you unprocessed by regular mail (unless a pre-paid express/registered post envelope is provided).

If you are overseas

We can offer the Australia Post Express International Courier Service with on line tracking facilities. The additional cost of this service must be included in with your Notarial fee payment. We recommend that you confirm the rates with us before sending your request.

A list of international parcel zones and countries is available on the Australia Post website.

DFAT does not assume any responsibility for documents once they have been posted. Items posted with Express Courier International may be tracked online. Enter your tracking number at to locate your parcel.

All payment must be in Australian dollars.

For further information please contact us

Telephone: +61 3 9221 5504