Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)
This page summarises the travel bans imposed on designated persons and entities for the DPRK.
UNSC sanctions regime
Australian law prohibits the entry into or transit through Australia of a 'designated person' for the DPRK without authorisation by the UNSC.
The Consolidated List includes the names of all designated persons.
Australian autonomous sanctions regime
Australian law prohibits a 'declared person' from travelling to, entering or remaining in Australia unless the Minister for Foreign Affairs waives this prohibition.
The Consolidated List includes the names of all declared persons.
Conditions for the waiver of a travel ban
The Minister for Foreign Affairs may waive this prohibition only:
- on the grounds that it would be in the national interest, or
- on humanitarian grounds.
- Regulations 6 and 19 of the Autonomous Sanctions Regulations 2011
- Autonomous Sanctions (Designated Persons and Entities - Democratic People's Republic of Korea) List 2012
- Autonomous Sanctions (Designated Persons and Entities – Democratic People's Republic of Korea) Amendment List 2017
- Regulation 2.43(1)(aa) and Public Interest Criterion 4003(c) of the Migration Regulations 1994