The Office of Development Effectiveness
Performance and quality analysis
ODE monitors DFAT’s aid performance assessment systems and independently quality assures the data they produce. There are a number of components to this work:
- ODE quality assures DFAT's self-assessments of the performance of individual aid investments via Final Aid Quality Checks (FAQCs)
- ODE also assesses the quality of Aid Program Performance Reports (APPRs), which are the principal mechanism in DFAT to assess the performance of country and regional aid programs. ODE assesses the quality of APPRs to highlight strengths and areas for improvement
- ODE analyses the quality of completed program evaluations on a periodic basis.
Findings from this work support ODE to fulfil its role of quality assuring the assessments made in the annual Performance of Australian Aid (PAA) report. ODE independently analyses the performance assessments made in the PAA to provide confidence that they are robust. In doing so, ODE helps the department and the Australian Government to assess and manage how the Australian aid program is delivering against its objectives.
The report reviews progress with the implementation of the Government's policy and performance framework for the aid program. The report:
- provides an update on progress towards the 10 strategic targets for the aid program
- summarises the performance and results of country, regional and global aid programs, and
- examines performance across the six priority investment areas outlined in Australia's aid program policy.
The performance assessments in the report were quality assured by the Office of Development Effectiveness, overseen by the department's Independent Evaluation Committee. The Committee's findings are included in an annex to the report.
Performance of Australian Aid reports
- Performance of Australian Aid 2016-17 [PDF 3.4 MB]
- Performance of Australian Aid 2016-17 [DOCX 1 MB]
- Performance of Australian Aid 2015-16 [PDF 4.4 MB]
- Performance of Australian Aid 2015-16 [Word 2.5 MB]
- Performance of Australian Aid 2014-15 [PDF 3.3 MB]
- Performance of Australian Aid 2014-15 [Word 1.5 MB]