New South Wales Offices

Apostilles, Authentications and Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

Within Australia, DFAT state and territory or passport offices are authorised to provide services such as

  • Issuing of Certificates of no Impediment to Marriage (CNI) (including witnessing the signature on the application form)
  • legalisations of documents (Apostilles and Authentications)

Legalisation of Documents (authentications and Apostilles)

The law in most countries requires that a signature on a document be witnessed or other procedures applied before the document can be used for legal purposes or in a court of law. Solicitors, justices of the peace, and notaries public normally perform these functions in Australia, but the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) may also be authorised to do so.

For further information including fees and charges, refer to the Smartraveller page: Legalising documents.

Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

DFAT cannot provide advice regarding other countries' specific requirements in order for a marriage to be legal in a particular country. For details of marriage requirements you should contact the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of the country in which you would like to marry for their advice. Refer to Smartraveller for further information regarding Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage including application forms: Legalising documents.

Processing and lodgement requirements

Over the counter

Office address

Level 7
26 Lee St
Sydney NSW
(Near Central Station)

Office hours

8:30am – 1:00pm,
Monday to Friday,
No appointment necessary

Through the mail

Postal address

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Authentications Section
GPO Box 9807
Sydney NSW 2001

Payment form

This form must accompany all documents sent in by mail: Notarial request form [DOC 67 KB] | [PDF 115 KB]

The cost of returning your document by ordinary post is included in the fee. Please include a self-addressed Registered or Express Post envelope if you wish your document to be returned to you via either of these methods.

If you are overseas and wish to have your document returned by Express Courier International (ECI) (Australia Post) please include additional payment for postage. Postage rates can be calculated on the Australia Post website.

How do I authenticate my fingerprint check?

If applying for an overseas police clearance you may be asked to have a fingerprint check authenticated by DFAT.  As the NSW police are not permitted to return your fingerprint check to you, you must take the following with you to the police station:

  1. A completed Notarial request form [DOC 67 KB] | [PDF 429 KB], with a payment of $20.
  2. An envelope addressed to:
    Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Authentications Section
    GPO Box 9807
    Sydney NSW 2001
  3. An addressed envelope for the return of the fingerprints back to you, or to the relevant consulate or embassy.

As we are usually required to contact the police officer who conducted your fingerprint check for signature verification, there is no guaranteed turnaround time on the legalisation of fingerprints.

DFAT cannot request a National Police Clearance Certificates or other documents on behalf of clients. Only the individual may obtain this information directly from the relevant state, territory or federal police force.

You may wish to enquire with the Australian Federal Police about obtaining a National Police Clearance Certificate

Contact us