Approved categories:gratis passport
In accordance with the Australian Passports Act 2005, Section 56, passport application fees may only be waived in specified circumstances.
Approved categories: gratis passport
The Minister for Foreign Affairs has decided that only the following categories of persons may be issued with a gratis passport:
- Persons surrendering Diplomatic passports in favour of Official passports;
- Persons surrendering Diplomatic or Official passports upon resignation from their appointments whilst overseas – issued with an Ordinary passport with maximum validity of 1 year;
- Upon receipt of a completed application form (with parental consent), children who have been issued with a passport in the first year of their life may be issued 1 gratis replacement passport for purposes of updating the photograph before they turn 5 years of age. The expiry date of the replacement document must be the same as the original document;
- Applicants who change their name because of marriage or registered relationship, or who revert to the use of a previous name because of divorce/revocation or registered relationship provided the passport is current and the applicant lodges the request within 12 months of the marriage or divorce. The expiry date of the replacement document must be the same as the original document;
Note: Same sex marriages are not recognised by Australia (Marriage Act 1961- Section 88EA) and therefore gratis passports may not be issued to people who change their name as a result of a same sex marriage or divorce. Registered relationships for the purposes of Section 53 (3) (c) (ca) of the Act, are not considered marriages.
- Applicants who revert to the use of a previous name because of the death of a spouse or registered relationship adult partner provided the passport is current and the applicant lodges the request within 12 months of the death occurring. The expiry date of the replacement document must be the same as the original document;
Note: An applicant’s passport must be current at the time of the event (i.e. marriage, divorce/revocation of registered relationship or death of spouse/registered relationship adult partner) that leads to the applicant’s request for a gratis passport. Where a client renews their passport and elects not to change their name based on an earlier event, then any subsequent applications must be accompanied by the full passport fee.
- Terminally ill children and accompanying family members who are undertaking travel sponsored by an Australian registered charitable organisation (1 year limited validity passport only);
- Australian citizens issued with Documents of Identity for travel between the Australian mainland and Norfolk Island only;
- Persons issued new travel documents to replace faulty travel documents as a result of Passports Office error. The expiry date of the replacement document must be the same as the original document;
- Persons who replace a limited validity document (this does not include an Emergency passport) with a full validity passport at any time prior to the expiry of the limited validity passport as the applicant has already paid the full fee when receiving the limited validity passport. The validity of the replacement passport is to be 10 years from the date of issue of the limited validity passport;
- Persons issued with a Certificate of Identity who are being deported under the Migration Act 1958, and
- Persons in respect of whom the Minister considers should have the fee waived e.g. where a passport is lost, damaged or unavailable as a result of a natural disaster or overseas crises.
Authorised officers do not have the authority to waive passports fees outside the approved categories.
Gratis passports outside approved categories
The Minister has delegated part of his power under 8.2(j) of the Determination to allow senior departmental officers to determine whether special circumstances exist to waive passport fees in individual cases only.
Applications for gratis passports may be lodged at an Australia Post Office that conducts passport interviews, a Passport Office or an overseas mission.
Gratis replacements with less than 2 years validity
Where the gratis replacement passport would have less than 2 years validity, the applicant should be advised of the consequences for subsequent renewal of their passport (i.e. a gratis replacement with less than 2 years validity cannot be used to obtain a PC7 form for renewing an adult passport and cannot be used as proof of citizenship or identity).
Full application forms (PC1, 4 or 8) and full supporting documentation would be required for the subsequent renewal of their passport.