Convention Travel Documents (CTD)


A Convention Travel Document (CTD), also known as a Titre de Voyage, is issued in accordance with the United Nations Convention relating to the Status of Refugees of 28 July 1951 and its 1967 Protocol.

Convention Travel Document Applications for CTDs can only be lodged at a Passport Office.

Who can apply for a CTD

A Convention Travel Document (CTD) is issued to persons recognised by Australia as refugees within the meaning of the Convention, who are about to leave Australia, are lawfully in Australia or are not lawfully in Australia and cannot obtain a travel document from his/her country of lawful residence. Applicants who have acquired Australian citizenship are not eligible as they have forfeited their refugee status.

Applicants for a CTD must provide evidence of their refugee status, which may be an Australian visa showing the relevant visa category or a statement issued by DIAC of acceptance as a refugee under the terms of that Convention. The standard statement issued by DIAC includes the applicant’s name, date of birth, visa entitlement and validity of visa.

It is important that an applicant's visa label details (in particular their correct nationality) match their travel document details.

If the Movement Reconstructions Database confirms that the applicant's nationality, as recorded in DIAC systems, is different to the nationality recorded on the client's protection visa, applicant should be asked to attend a DIAC office to have their visa correctly re-evidenced in the CTD, so that the nationality on the visa label matches that on the CTD. It is important that the applicant understands that they need to have the correct information recorded on their visa label before they travel outside Australia to ensure they do not experience any difficulty when travelling. The Canberra Regional Eligibility Centre can confirm the nationality of the visa holder.

A person seeking to apply overseas for a CTD should be referred wherever possible to the nearest UNHCR office for issue of a CTD by the host country.

Australian re-entry visas and visas for other countries:CTD

A Convention Travel Document (CTD) does not confer on the holder any right to return to Australia.

The bearer should be advised to seek assistance from DIAC in obtaining a re-entry visa.

Applicants should be advised that countries they intend to visit may not accept a CTD for entry/exit and/or may require a visa.

Evidence of refugee status:CTD

Evidence of Refugee Status from DIAC may include:

Note: From 24 March 2012, holders of Protection visa (Class XA)(Subclass 866) may only be eligible for a CTD if they have numerical value of ‘001’ after the letters P or S. This indicates the visa was granted on refugee grounds. ‘002’ indicates the holder may be eligible for a COI. See Certificate of Identity for more information.

Note: for visa categories 202 and 208 to 217, see Certificate of Identity(COI) .

Guideline for PC5 Application for Holders of RoS 851 Visas

Previous Visa Category

Granted an RoS 851 visa

Travel Document









Proof of travel required









Other visa category (family member)



Proof of travel required



A Convention Travel Document (CTD) is valid for:

Revalidation or extension to a CTD overseas

A person legally resident in another country, who does not hold a visa entitling them to return to Australia and is seeking to apply overseas for an extension to the validity of their Convention Travel Document (CTD) should be referred wherever possible to the nearest UNHCR office for issue of a CTD by the host country.

All requests for an extension of a validity of a CTD received by an overseas post are to be referred to Canberra

Lost or Stolen CTD overseas

All requests for a replacement Convention Travel Document (CTD) that are lost or stolen overseas are to be referred to Canberra for consideration.