A person legally resident in another country, who does not hold a visa entitling them to return to Australia and is seeking to apply overseas for an extension to the validity of their Convention Travel Document (CTD) should be referred wherever possible to the nearest UNHCR office for issue of a CTD by the host country.

All requests for an extension of a validity of a CTD received by an overseas post are to be referred to Canberra