Child Applications

Lodgement of child application

A child’s application may be submitted on behalf of the child by a person with parental responsibility (in most cases a parent). One piece of photographic identification is required from the lodging parent at interview. No identification is required from the non-lodging parent.

Circumstances may occur where a child wishes to lodge on his/her own behalf or another person without parental responsibility wishes to lodge on the child’s behalf. However, it would only be in exceptional circumstances that the interviewer should accept an application lodged by the child or a third party. The interviewer must be satisfied that extenuating circumstances exist preventing the parents, or another person with parental responsibility, or another eligible person from lodging the application and urgent circumstances do not allow deferral of lodgement.

In these cases guidance from Canberra may be required.

Identify the person lodging a child application

A person lodging an application on behalf of a child must provide proof of identity for themselves. Preferably this would be a document providing photo and signature evidence of the person, such as a driver licence. They also need to prove that they have parental responsibility for the child (i.e. child’s birth certificate/court orders).

Where a parent’s name has changed since the child’s birth, documents linking the current name of the parent(s) to the names of the parents recorded on the child’s birth certificate are required.

Lodgement in Australia for a child currently overseas

Only in exceptional circumstances should applications for children who are overseas be accepted for lodgement in Australia. These cases must be referred to Canberra for a decision at an appropriate level.

Supporting documentation for child application

The PC4 and PC8 application forms stipulate that certain supporting documents are required for child passports.

All child applications must be checked by the interviewer to ensure that the following is provided:

See also ‘ Lodging and accepting an application at interview ’.

Renewing a child's passport

Parental consent: renewal of a child's passport

Children cannot ‘renew’ a passport like an adult can using a PC7 form as parental consent must be confirmed for each application. An application for the renewal/replacement of a child’s passport that was issued without full consent requires the same documentation and the same treatment as the initial application.

Lost/stolen child passports whilst overseas

If the child’s previous travel document was either lost or stolen while overseas, and the applicant is seeking a replacement document, a completed application form must be lodged and the person lodging on behalf of the child must attend an interview at an Australian diplomatic mission or consulate overseas.

For all applications, the person lodging the application must be able to identify themselves, and the interviewer must be able to establish their relationship to the child, see ‘ Lodgement of child application ’.

All persons with parental responsibilities must provide consent to the issue. Where these consents are not provided (but required) the application requires Approved Senior Officer (ASO) approval.

Replacing a child’s passport held by the other guardian

Any person with parental responsibility who has given consent for the issue of a travel document for a child is entitled to hold/possess that travel document. It is not the APO’s role to decide who holds a child’s travel document.

If either person who has given consent requests a replacement travel document for a child because the other parent is holding the child’s existing travel document, the matter must be referred to the Approved Senior Office for determination using the B12 form.

Cases of a parent or guardian holding a child’s travel document against the wishes of the other parent in Australia should generally be required to be resolved by the parents themselves, or referred to the court for decision.

Only if there is evidence of fraud or court orders are to be taken into account should the matter be considered by an ASO. Certainly in Australia and possibly Hague Convention countries the ASO should generally make a declaration under section 11(3) and advise the parents the matter is one for the courts.