A child’s application may be submitted on behalf of the child by a person with parental responsibility (in most cases a parent). One piece of photographic identification is required from the lodging parent at interview. No identification is required from the non-lodging parent.

Circumstances may occur where a child wishes to lodge on his/her own behalf or another person without parental responsibility wishes to lodge on the child’s behalf. However, it would only be in exceptional circumstances that the interviewer should accept an application lodged by the child or a third party. The interviewer must be satisfied that extenuating circumstances exist preventing the parents, or another person with parental responsibility, or another eligible person from lodging the application and urgent circumstances do not allow deferral of lodgement.

In these cases guidance from Canberra may be required.

Identify the person lodging a child application

A person lodging an application on behalf of a child must provide proof of identity for themselves. Preferably this would be a document providing photo and signature evidence of the person, such as a driver licence. They also need to prove that they have parental responsibility for the child (i.e. child’s birth certificate/court orders).

Where a parent’s name has changed since the child’s birth, documents linking the current name of the parent(s) to the names of the parents recorded on the child’s birth certificate are required.

Lodgement in Australia for a child currently overseas

Only in exceptional circumstances should applications for children who are overseas be accepted for lodgement in Australia. These cases must be referred to Canberra for a decision at an appropriate level.