My telegram 25th March H.98. PALESTINE.
The United States Representative on the Security Council has tabled two resolutions by which the Security Council would:
(1) Call on Jewish Agency and Arab Higher Committee to designate representatives to meet Security Council to arrange truce between Arab and Jewish communities in Palestine.
(2) Request Secretary-General to convene special session of Assembly to consider further the question of future Government of Palestine.
2. United Kingdom Representative at United Nations has now been instructed to vote for both resolutions.
3. As regards (1) we have always favoured adoption of all possible measures to end disorder and to establish better relations between the two communities in Palestine. Sir A. Cadogan has been instructed that in voting for resolution (1) he should make it clear that we adhere firmly to our announced dates for termination of mandate and final withdrawal of United Kingdom troops and that there is no question of our retaining any responsibility for civil administration after 15th May even in order to see that truce carried out.
4. As regards resolution (2) there seems to be a general desire that Assembly should be given opportunity to reconsider their original resolution. In view of intense disturbances which are now occurring in Palestine possibility of which was not taken into account by Assembly in reaching their original decision we think that there might be advantage in Assembly having this opportunity.