106 Australian Delegation, United Nations, to Department of External Affairs
Cablegram Austdel 223, PARIS, 15 November 1948, 10.50 p.m.
After individual talks Minister today convened joint meeting of Representatives of Albania, Bulgaria, Greece and Yugoslavia. Following eight point programme which has not yet been publicly released was handed to them, and will be used as basis of discussion in subsequent meetings:
1. Diplomatic Exchange. Immediate agreement between Greece on the one hand and Albania, Bulgaria, and Yugoslavia on the other for the full exchange of Diplomatic Representatives at the highest level.
2. Frontier Regulations. Immediate agreement in principle to draw up new frontier conventions or revise existing ones.
3. Four Governments to patrol their frontiers to ensure that no aid or assistance is received from across the border by dissident elements in an adjoining state.
4. Conventions to be implemented by Frontier Commissions which would be assisted by a group of United Nations guards or United Nations observers.
5. Territorial Claims. Agreement by all four Governments to accept present frontiers as definitive and in the case of Bulgaria and Greece to carry out the relevant terms of the Treaty of Peace.
6. Greek Children. Special machinery to accelerate return of the Greek children who have been removed from their homes across the border.
7. Refugees and Minorities. Agreement in principle to regulate questions of refugees and minorities once normal Diplomatic relations have been established.
8. Body of Mediation. Small body of mediation or of Good Offices consisting of say three outstanding persons of international prestige selected for their individual qualifications who would assist in the carrying out of the above points.