My telegram K.35 , Dutch political principles.
1. That assistance of the Committee of Good Offices be continued in working out and signing an agreement for settlement of political dispute in the Islands of Java, Sumatra and Madura based for the purpose on principles underlying t[he] Linggadjati Agreement.
2. It is understood that neither party has the right to prevent the free expression of popular movements, looking towards political organisations which are in accord with the principles of Linggadjati Agreement. It is further understood that each party will guarantee freedom of assembly, speech and publication at all times provided that this guarantee is not construed so as to include the advocacy of violence or reprisal.
3. It is understood that decisions concerning changes of administration of the territory should be made only with the full and free consent of the populations of those territories and at a time when security and freedom from coercion of such populations will have been ensured.
4. That on signing of political agreement provision be made for gradual reduction of armed forces of both parties.
5. That as soon as practicable after the signing of the Truce Agreement, economic activity, trade, transportation and communications be restored through the co-operation of both parties, taking into consideration the interests of all constituent parts of Indonesia.
6. That provision be made for a suitable period of not less than six months nor more than one year after the signing of the Agreement during which time uncoerced and free discussion and consideration of vital issues will proceed. At the end of this period, free elections will be held for self determination by the people of their political relationship to the United States of Indonesia.
7. That a constitutional convention be chosen according to democratic procedure to draft a constitution for the United States of Indonesia.
8. It is understood that if, after beginning the agreement referred to in item one, either party should ask the United Nations to provide an agency to observe conditions at any time up to the point at which sovereignty is transferred from the Government of the Netherlands to the Government of the United States of Indonesia, the other party will take this request in serious consideration.
9. The following four principles of the Linggadjati Agreement taken from the Committee's draft Christmas message.
(a) Independence of Indonesian peoples.
(b) Co-operation between the peoples of the Netherlands and Indonesia.
(c) A sovereign state on a Federal basis under a constitution which will be arrived at by democratic processes.
(d) A union between United States Indonesia and other parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands under the King of the Netherlands.