Assembly 139. Korea.
The following is the text of the Resolution [adopted] by the Political Committee 5th November.
The General Assembly:
Recognising the urgent and rightful claims to independence of the people of Korea;
Believing that the national independence of Korea should be re- established and all occupying forces then withdrawn at the earliest practicable date;
Recalling its previous conclusion that the freedom and independence of the Korean people cannot be correctly or fairly resolved without the participation of representatives of the Korean people and its decision to establish a United Nations temporary Commission on Korea (hereinafter called the 'Commission') for the purpose of facilitating and expediting such participation by elected representatives of the Korean people.
1. Decides that the Commission shall consist of representatives of Australia, Canada, China, El Salvador, France, India, Philippines, Syria and Ukrainian S.S.R.
2. Recommends that the elections be held not later than 31st March, 1948 on the basis of adult suffrage and by secret ballot to choose representatives with whom the Commission may consult regarding the prompt attainment of the freedom and independence of the Korean people and which representatives constituting a national assembly may establish a national Government of Korea.
The number of representatives from each voting area or zone should be proportional to the population and the elections should be under the observation of the Commission.
3. Further recommends that as soon as possible after the election the National Assembly should convene and form a National Government and notify the Commission of its formation.
4. Further recommends that immediately upon the establishment of a National Government that Government should in consultation with the Commission.
(a) Constitute its own national security forces and dissolve all military or semi-military formations not included therein;
(b) Take over the functions of Government from the Military Commands and civilian authorities of North and South Korea, and (c) Arrange with the occupying powers for the complete withdrawal from Korea of their armed forces as early as practicable and if possible within 90 days.
5. Resolves that the Commission shall facilitate and expedite the fulfilment of the foregoing programme for the attainment of the national independence of Korea and withdrawal of occupying forces taking into account its observations and consultations in Korea.
The Commission shall report with its conclusions to the General Assembly and may consult with the Interim Committee (if one be established) with respect to the application of this resolution in the light of developments.
6. Calls upon the member states concerned to afford every assistance and facility to the Commission in the fulfilment of its responsibilities.
7. Calls upon all members of the United Nations to refrain from interfering in the affairs of the Korean people during the interim period preparatory to the establishment of Korean independence except in pursuance of the decisions of the General Assembly and thereafter to refrain completely from any and all acts derogatory to the independence and sovereignty of Korea.