482 Ball to Evatt
Cablegram Top Secret and Personal for the Minister 7 TOKYO, 18 June 1947, 9 p.m.
1. This evening I have learned from S.C.A.P. Headquarters of your direct communication with it on your visit to Japan.
2. The substance of your communication makes it clear to me that my continued presence here is wasteful and unnecessary and inconsistent, on my part, with the maintenance of minimum self respect.
3. I think it not necessary to elaborate in this telegram.
4. I wish to tender my immediate resignation. I should like this to be effective as soon as you can name my successor or temporary deputy.
5. I think it important that someone should replace me before your arrival in Japan.