Following puts in form of statement of the proposition outlined immediately preceding telegram :
1. Minister announced that, because of vital concern Australia in fighting between Indonesians and Dutch, Government could not remain indifferent and must continue its previous attempts to find solution.
2. Follow reference offer mediation, etc.
3. Follow reference rejection mediation Australia, United States, United Kingdom.
4. General policy of Australia in all such disputes is to ascertain facts. Medium for this should be Security Council, but matter claimed at this stage domestic jurisdiction. Security Council may later be asked to determine whether it has jurisdiction.
5. In the meantime and in order to assist, Australia must ascertain facts in best way she can.
6. Australian Government is therefore appointing a Commission of Enquiry. It shall first examine all documents and evidence at present available to Australian Government, and then it will invite the co-operation of each party separately so that first- hand information can be obtained from either or both parties as may be willing to co-operate. When enquiries are complete, Commission will report to the Government and a decision will be taken as to what, if any, unilateral action should be taken by Australia and as to what international action should be initiated.