33 Department of External Affairs to Makin
Cablegram UND CANBERRA, 16 January 1946
PERSONAL MOST IMMEDIATE
Confirming Minister's conversation tonight with Watt:
1. Minister does not agree your position as President Security Council  obliges you to take neutral attitude ; but on contrary will give opportunities to take lead on questions now to be discussed.
2. Main outstanding question at present meetings from Australian point of view is site of centre. We should not assume recommendation of preparatory commission will be accepted and whole Delegation must work hard for San Francisco. Tactic should be yes or no decision on U.S.A. then not coast versus coast debate but separate vote on each recommended site.
3. Decision on site should not be postponed. It is most important that next meeting of Assembly should not be in London but at chosen site or as near as is physically possible from accommodation point of view. Security Council should be transferred to site as soon as current meetings complete and before proposed April meeting of Assembly.
4. You are aware Minister's views on atomic energy.  While Security Council must be closely associated with proposals for control the Assembly must play full part and be in position to discuss and recommend at all stages and have reports constantly referred to it.
5. Election Secretary General presents problem as no candidate so far named is outstanding. Minister definitely opposed to Van Kleffens. He is equally opposed in principle to national of great powers and persons named from United Kingdom and China  are also not acceptable on personal grounds. Simic must be regarded as Russian representative and is objectionable on grounds of above principle. Pearson has not necessary strength and in any case Canada is too closely associated with major powers. Both these objections to Pearson became obvious at San Francisco. On balance Lie is strongly favoured and Minister desires you and Hodgson to meet him, indicate we wish to support Norway and find out whether he is a candidate, what is his general attitude to Assembly and role of small powers. Minister desires full report. Lie should know we desire support Norway and also that we voted for him as President.