118 Department of External Affairs to Legation in Washington
Cablegram 355 CANBERRA, 7 March 1946
Australia's representation on Security Council will be the Australian Minister for External Affairs or other person nominated by him from time to time.
2. Mt. P. Hasluck has been appointed Counsellor of the Australian Mission at the United Nations site and he will, subject to direction of Minister for External Affairs, represent Australia on all councils or committees of the United Nations.
3. Mr. A. H. Tange has been appointed First Secretary of the Australian Mission and he similarly will act on councils or committees particularly those of an economic nature at the instruction of the Australian Minister for External Affairs or the Australian Counsellor.
4. The names of other members of the staff will be notified in due course and are to be similarly authorised to act from time to time according to the direction of the Minister for External Affairs or the Australian Counsellor.
5. Please inform Secretary-General of the above arrangements.
6. Please also inform Secretary of State and indicate that pending final arrangements it is our understanding that Australian representatives and staff at the site will be accorded the same diplomatic privileges and status as the diplomatic representatives duly accredited to the United States Government.