307 Burton to Evatt
Cablegram 328 CANBERRA, 14 October 1945
1. Consider we have vital interest in informing U.K. Government on situations in this area.
2. In course of week we shall have representatives and observers at many key points reporting to Department.
3. Please see D.1893 Indonesian problems.  Decisions are now being made which will determine future political set up in this area. Strongly urge you discuss questions at highest level and Hood follow matter up with U.K. and Dutch authorities. Possibility of temporary trusteeship arrangement may be considered.
4. Quinn now returned  and immediately following telegram  has been prepared departmentally with his assistance.
5. Glad of advice as to any action you suggest should be taken here, also whether you require adviser with direct knowledge Indonesian and associated problems at Far East Commission.