180 Evatt to Hodgson

Cablegram E35 WASHINGTON, 6 May 1943


Your telegram S.W.18. [1] If the United Kingdom asks us directly we can give an answer. Until then proposal would be regarded as gratuitous intermeddling in a situation of extraordinary difficulties. Slater's sudden departure [2] has undoubtedly given rise to rumours and suspicions voiced to me by Litvinoff. [3] These may well be aggravated by pushing in as Bruce suggests. In any event, the Prime Minister will be here in person next week.

Bruce probably is unaware of that and I am not at liberty to allow you to inform him. Matter could certainly be discussed with the Prime Minister at Washington.

I do not think there is the slightest reason to precipitate immediate decision which would also be probably resented by Washington. However, if we get request later from Churchill, we can consult at Washington both persons chiefly concerned. [4]

of course, our staff difficulties in Russia are very great indeed as you very well know but Bruce merely brushes these aside.

I think that Bruce should also communicate with me direct in a matter of this kind.

I therefore advise extreme caution.


1 Dispatched 6 May. On file AA:A989, 43-44/715/5/2/2. It included a copy of the cablegram from Bruce to Curtin published as Document 177.

2 See Document 196, note 5.

3 Soviet Minister to the United States.

4 Churchill and Roosevelt.

[AA:A989, 43-44/715/5/2/2]