Victoria State Office

Apostilles, Authentications and Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

Within Australia, DFAT state and territory or passport offices are authorised to provide services such as

  • Issuing of Certificates of no Impediment to Marriage (CNI) (including witnessing the signature on the application form)
  • legalisations of documents (Apostilles and Authentications)

Legalisation of Documents (authentications and Apostilles)

The law in most countries requires that a signature on a document be witnessed or other procedures applied before the document can be used for legal purposes or in a court of law. Solicitors, justices of the peace, and notaries public normally perform these functions in Australia, but the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) may also be authorised to do so.

For further information including fees and charges, refer to the Smartraveller page: Legalising documents.

Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

DFAT cannot provide advice regarding other countries' specific requirements in order for a marriage to be legal in a particular country. For details of marriage requirements you should contact the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of the country in which you would like to marry for their advice. Refer to Smartraveller for further information regarding Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage including application forms: Legalising documents.

Processing and lodgement requirements

Over the counter

Office address

Level 2, Collins Square
747 Collins Street
MelbourneĀ  VICĀ  3000

Office hours

8.30am to 1.00pm Monday to Friday
No appointment is necessary.

Through the mail

Postal address

Australian Passport Office
Authentications Unit
GPO Box 1588

Payment form

The cost of returning your document by ordinary post is included in the fee. Please include a self-addressed Registered or Express Post envelope if you wish your document to be returned to you via either of these methods.

If you are overseas and wish to have your document returned by Express Courier International (ECI) (Australia Post) please include additional payment for postage. Postage rates can be calculated on the Australia Post website.

How do I authenticate my fingerprint check?

If applying for an overseas police clearance you may be asked to have a fingerprint check authenticated by DFAT. Please note that this process may take extra processing time where we need to verify the police officer's signature.

DFAT cannot request a National Police Clearance Certificates or other documents on behalf of clients. Only the individual may obtain this information directly from the relevant state, territory or federal police force.

You may wish to enquire with the Australian Federal Police about obtaining a National Police Clearance Certificate

Contact us