Appendix 5: Inquiries by parliamentary committees
During the review period, the department provided submissions and/or gave evidence to the following parliamentary committees.
House of Representatives Standing Committee on Infrastructure and Communications
- Inquiry into IT Pricing, hearing attended 28 November 2012 and submissions made on 5 October 2012 and 18 April 2013.
Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade
- Inquiry into Australia's relationship with Timor-Leste, submission made on 4 February 2013 and hearing attended on 22 May 2013.
- An oral update on Syria was provided to the Committee on 5 February 2013.
- Inquiry into Slavery, Slavery-like Conditions and People Trafficking, submission made 11 October 2012 and hearing attended 9 May 2013.
- Inquiry into Australia's trade and investment relations with Asia, the Pacific and Latin America, submission made 21 December 2012.
- Inquiry into Australia's Human Rights Dialogue with China and Vietnam, submission made June 2012.
- Inquiry into Australia's Overseas Representation, submission made 3 June 2012.
Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories
- Inquiry into the Allocation of Land to Diplomatic Missions in the ACT, hearing attended and submission made 1 February 2013.
Joint Standing Committee on Treaties
- Review into Treaties tabled on 21 November 2011, submission made 26 November 2013.
- The Torres Strait: Bridge and Border inquiry, submission made 14 August 2012.
Departmental officers appeared before the Joint Standing Committee on Treaties as witnesses in relation to:
- Malaysia–Australia Free Trade Agreement, hearing 12 October 2012; JSCOT report 130.
- Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia, hearing 29 October 2012; JSCOT report 131.*
- Treaty between Australia and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam on Extradition, hearing 29 October 2012; JSCOT report 131.
- Agreement between the Government of Australia and the Government of Japan on the Security of Information, hearing 26 November 2013; JSCOT report 132.
- Agreement between the Government of Australia and the Government of the United Arab Emirates on Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy, hearings 13 May 2013 and 17 June 2013; JSCOT report not yet released.
- Food Assistance Convention, hearing 17 June 2013; JSCOT report not yet released.*
*DFAT officers listed as witnesses, but not actually called upon to give evidence.
Treaties Secretariat officers attended all hearings, but did not give evidence.
Senate Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade (and References Committee)
- Inquiry into Held Hostage: Government's response to kidnapping of Australian citizens overseas, submission made 26 September 2012.
- Inquiry into the Indian Ocean region and Australia's Foreign, Trade and Defence Policy, hearing attended 17 August 2012.
- Inquiry into the administration, management and objective of Australia's overseas development programs in Afghanistan in the context of the 'Transition Decade', submissions made 18 October 2012 and 22 April 2013, and hearing attended 3 December 2012 and 22 April 2013.