Thanks to everyone that submitted an Expression of Interest for the 2013-14 COALAR Grants round.
We received over 130, which will be reviewed by the COALAR Board at their next meeting on 30 May. Successful applicants will be invited to submit a full grant application from 10 June.
The Council provides funding through a competitive grants program for projects across Latin America and Australia. Projects need to be relevant to one or more of the following objectives:
- to enhance and strengthen links between Australia and Latin America, particularly in the priority areas of business, education, science, sustainability, tourism, cultural promotion and sport;
- to influence corporate Australia to initiate closer engagement with Latin America; and
- to increase awareness and understanding of Australia in Latin America, and of Latin America in Australia.
COALAR supports innovative projects that have clear outcomes and seek to ensure the benefits of such activities are spread as widely as possible. The application process is very competitive. Meeting the Council’s objectives and satisfying the selection criteria are minimum requirements for a project and guarantees being considered only.
Two-Stage Application Process
COALAR is piloting a two-stage application process for the 2013-14 Grant Round. In the first stage applicants will submit an EOI online. Following assessment the EOIs will be shortlisted by the COALAR board. The shortlisted applicants will then be invited to submit a full grant application
COALAR understands the time and energy that applicants commit to their applications. As there is only scope to award grants to a minority of applicants (16% in the 2012-13 Grant Round), a key objective of the two-stage process is to reduce the requirements in the Expression of Interest stage and applicants investments in time and resources. For example the requirements for a detailed budget and referees reports are omitted in the EOI stage. Word limits are also imposed.
Dates for the 2013-14 Grant Round
- 11 March 2013 Grant Round opens for Expressions of Interest
- 7 April 2013 Expressions of Interest close at midnight AEST (end of day)
- 10 June 2013 Successful applicants invited to submit full applications and unsuccessful applicants informed
- 5 July 2013 Closing date for full applications
- 29 August 2013 Unsuccessful applicants notified and successful applicants advised of grant allocation pending funding for 2013-14 financial year
How to Apply
Applications can only be completed and submitted online. Word limits are not flexible and applications will not be accepted after the closing date (7 April 2013).
The Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR) provides funding support to competitively selected projects that seek to enhance Australia’s economic, political and social relations with Latin America.
The Council invites funding applications annually from individuals and organisations for projects that demonstrate the potential for the development of long-term links and cooperation between individuals and institutions in Australia and their counterparts in Latin America. COALAR grants are intended to provide seed funds for innovative proposals relevant to the goals and mission of the Council stated in the 2011–14 Strategic Plan.
The Council gives priority to funding projects in the following areas:
- Cultural Promotion (including sport).