CAAR Strategic Plan 2013-15
CAAR will develop programs to increase mutual understanding and build bridges in Australia and the Arab world.
Proactively allocating grant funding to address opportunities within priority sectors and countries
CAAR will develop a targeted grants program to fund projects that meet the needs identified through research for promoting relations between Australia and Arab countries and people.
For this approach to generate maximum impact, CAAR’s reputation in this area must be promoted.
Supporting activities that meet CAAR’s strategic objectives
CAAR will provide in-kind support to organisations undertaking activities that align with CAAR’s objectives.
In particular, CAAR will support Australian-Arab business chambers and associations.
A Strategic Leadership Dialogue can develop long term connections between future Australian and Arab business, political and community leaders. The Leadership Dialogue will be:
- Based on the Australian-American Leadership Dialogue model
- Include a Youth Leadership Dialogue (such as the Australian-Chinese Youth Dialogue or the Australian-American Young Leadership Dialogue)
- Leverage established forums to build relationships
- Utilise input from the research and programs identified through CAAR grants can be used as topics for discussion.
Student Alumni Groups
Student Alumni groups can strengthen Australian cultural familiarity and trade preference, and promote Australian tertiary institutions to Arab countries:
- Basis will be students currently studying in Australia (in addition to those who have previously done so)
- Could take the form of physical conferences, ideally as an adjunct to an existing bilateral forum and virtual forums and networks
- Partnerships for this alumni program could be sought from external government and NGO organisations.
- Alumni from Australian institutions could also support programs in Arab countries by working in institutions involved in flagship programs, and canvassing financial support within their countries for CAAR supported programs. CAAR could invite grant applications from alumni for activities that raise awareness in their countries and Australia.